Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Nosy Food Lover Seeks Janine-Style Romper

A cousin of mine made some pretty heavy duty New Years resolutions, the kind that involve changing the way she cooks, eats, buys food and spends her free time.  She posts her progress on her blog and part of that is a weekly log of their family's dinners.  I don't know if it's my nosy side coming out or if I'm just very into food, but I love reading her lists.  Since I plan our meals every two weeks when I make my grocery list I thought I'd start sharing my meal plans here, for any other nosy food lovers out there.  This week is half over so here is next week's list:

Scallops - With tomatoes and garlic, over angel hair

Guinness Pie - Zack's request this week, it's beef, bacon and potatoes cooked in Guinness until it's thick then baked in pie pastry.  It's fattening, artery clogging goodness.

Tilapia - A quick, go-to meal around here, fish gets laid in a sheet pan on top of lemon and dill.  Salt, pepper and olive oil go on top and it gets broiled for 4-5 minutes.  I always make rice with it because Zack and Lily like theirs all mixed together.

Spaghetti Carbonara - An easy meal that uses ingredients we always have on hand

Pork Loin or Roast - Since blood oranges are in season I've been looking for ways to use them.

Some general info about my meal planning...

I plan 5 meals per week, the other 2 days we either eat out or have leftovers.
My typical week always includes 1 red meat, 1 chicken and 1 fish, the other two could be more chicken or fish, seafood, turkey or pork, it depends on what sounds good and looks good at the store.
I don't always plan side dishes, I rely on the staples of salad stuff, pasta, rice and usually potatoes.
I take requests from Gunnar and Zack, which usually consist of chicken fried steak and lasagna.

Oh yeah, I spent yesterday in my sewing room and came out with my first ever ruffled slip, and a sweet dress to go over it.  I love, love the full look of the dress with the slip, and the ruffle that shows at the bottom is so cute.  I also made a romper for Lily, the kind some of us wore when we were kids.  There may be a tutorial for that in the near future.
Sidenote:  If you watch Shear Genious then you're familiar with Janine and her adult rompers, which I'm coveting in a big way.  Don't judge me, you either love them or you hate them.  I neeeed one.

1 comment:

  1. I am intensely jealous of your ability to make aplan for dinners. Half the time I decide what's for dinner around 1pm. I HATE that. I need to start trying to shop with a list and a plan in mind. The sides can be a semi-spur of the moment decision based on what we get from the co-op. But knowing what meat I will cook and making sure I have it on hand and thawed out? That is some seriously challenging stuff!

    I might need a ruffled slip. There is a distinct lack of ruffles in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete