Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Something Old, Something New

I've developed a thing for old sewing machines and, as is the case with so many things in life, the more I get the more I want.  I recently told my dad about my small collection and he said he'd be on the lookout, but he's less than reliable when it comes to, well, most things.  So on our last visit I was shocked when he said he'd found an old machine, and he produced a Singer Featherweight in its original case.  With original instructions and attachments, all bought for $5 at a yard sale.  It's in desperate need of cleaning so I'm dropping it off in the next day or two for service and TLC, I can't wait to set up a permanent home for it in my sewing room.





It's a 221 AD model, I checked the date here and it was made in June of 1935. Oh, and it runs!  I wish I could drag myself out of bed earlier on weekends, clearly I need to start yard sale-ing.

So I posted yesterday about my babydoll plans and I'm proud to say that as of this afternoon the first one is finished.  I used Emily Martin's pattern and tutorial (I lengthened the whole thing a little) and I must say it was quite painless. 

I've never embroidered by hand or even cross stitched but I consulted a book and was able to stitch some eyes and a mouth (no good permanent ink on hand here), now I just need to improve my stuffing skills.  After seeing how quickly this one went together I'm feeling more confident about making the next one as a Christmas gift, and I'll have plenty of time to properly accessorize her :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment